Thursday 26 September 2013

6. Organization

This isn't an emotional or deep post. Just more of a reminder to myself.

Wow!

Almost one week after the second annual Rocking for Rhinos festival, I am finally ready to update here. Slowly coming back into the real world!

For those that don't know, I am a director for a non-profit rhino conservation organization. But we are not a boring one that knocks on your door while you are trying to eat supper. We understand that it is our generation that will be responsible for either loosing or saving our rhino. So, what do people between the ages of 20 - 30 like to do the best?! Party and bullshit, of course.
So, we decided to throw a large scale, huge, two day festival fusing conservation and entertainment, with all ticket sale profit going directly to rhino conservation and anti poaching initiatives. BOOM.




On the 21st and 22nd of September, we threw our second one, and WOW what a success! With over 1000 people attending, I feel like those two days (and the week leading up to it) didn't even happen. What's my name? Who am I? Do I even have clothes on?


This was a huge up from our previous year of about 300 people attending (not including band members etc), so we were all extremely happy with the outcome. Oppi Koppi, Innebos, and so on... Watch out. We are coming for you ;-).

We had huge bands from all over come, including one from Zimbabwe and one from Mozambique. My favorite act, Wambuseun unfortunately got stuck in Botswana, thus couldn't make it. Next year Wambu!

Our biggest acts were Crash Car Burn, Cutting Jade, and of course; Our Locnville Boys. We also had amazing DJs who ripped it up until 2am every morning.




So, almost a week later, I spent two entire days doing nothing but eating and watching The Simpsons. But, I got bored quickly, so here I am.

One thing I totally learned from this was how important organization is. Meka, one of the other team members was the one who showed me this. It can really change EVERYTHING. Time management goes hand in hand, so thank you Meka!
This can apply to every section of your life - organize things properly, be it a massive festival or just your day, and you will see so many changes!



What else did I learn? Never to drink with film makers (shots shots shots shots!) definitely one of my worst hangovers, thanks Russ & Werner.... But I know as I type this, that this will be a lesson I will be repeating many times - I would take a few drinks with good people & create awesome memories in return for a hangover any day.

As for now, I will be spending my last chilled out day having a braai with friends before we start planning Rocking for Rhinos 2014 all over again tomorrow.

Peace out, Twenties. Time for an ice cold lime and vodka.








No comments:

Post a Comment